Week 9 Story: Baby Abandoned on Ganges

Piece of Ancient Indian newspaper (made with Fodey

Baby Abandoned on Ganges

Yesterday morning a newborn child was found by an unsuspecting couple along the banks of the Ganges river. According to Radha and Adhiratha Nandana, the couple who found the child, they were bathing in the river when they heard the sound of a baby crying. The couple then noticed the basket the infant was found in sitting along the river's edge. Radha approached the basket and opened the lid to reveal a young infant not more than days old. Radha and his wife were shocked that anyone would leave a child to float down the river all alone.

This is not the first time a child has been found abandoned in a river in the recent past but never before has something like this happened in India. Additionally, the last child to be found abandoned on a river was recovered in Egypt along the Nile during a time when all boys under the age of 2 were to be killed. It is still uncertain why the child was abandoned on the Ganges but some anonymous sources claim they saw a young teenage girl carrying a basket further up the river hours before the baby was found. If true it is likely the child belongs to an unmarried young girl who us trying to save face.

The Nandana's have stated they hope to keep the child and raise him as their own if no one claims him. Given that the baby appears to have been abandoned intentionally, it seems unlikely the parents will come forward.

"He is a beautiful baby boy," said Radha Nanadana. "I knew from the moment and I saw his bright, shining face, radiating like the sun, that he was special. He clearly has the Gods watching over him. I would be honored to call him my son."



Author's Note: I was excited to use this newspaper clipping generator to write a newspaper article as my story. I was a little disappointed my full story didn't fit in the generator but I still think it's really cool. The story I wrote was based on the story of Kunti and her son Karna in the Mahabharata. I also alluded to the story of Moses in Exodus 2 because I thought it was interesting how similar they were.

Bibliogaphy:
Mahabharata Episode 9 - Son of the Sun | Epified

Comments

  1. Howdy Hannah,
    The idea of using the newspaper clipping generator is awesome! I like the connection between the paper article and the tale of Kunti and Karna. I feel like Karna doesn’t get enough screen time in the Mahabharata, so I always get excited when people tell stories about him. I’m curious, what made you set out to tell this particular story? Or did the newspaper clipping give you the idea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hannah! This was such a cute idea! I immediately went to the newspaper clipping generator and wrote an "article" about wanting to be back in my apartment. I appreciated that you pointed out the parallel to Moses being sent down the river. Although, as you pointed out, the circumstances were a little different with him. Thank you for such a cute story in these trying times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Hannah!

    You know, I thought the very same thing about the similarities between the biblical story and this one. I'm so glad you mentioned it in your Author's Note and alluded to it in the newspaper article. Speaking of the newspaper article, I am inspired to do one myself! If I get to writing another story sometime, I will be using this format to spark some creativity. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts