Wikipedia Trail: Octopus to Kawekaweau (An Extinct Gecko)

I did some commenting for extra credit and I read Travis's Introduction where he mentioned an interest in the Biology of an Octopus. My interest was immeadiately peaked so I headed to the Octopus Wikipedia page where I am pleased to report there is a plethora of information about the Biology of an Octopus.


One of things I thought was most interesting was how an octopus (and other fish) breathes. Essentially, they take up water and run they get oxygen from the water as it runs through their gills and then they expel the water. They have high oxygen intake of up to 65% thanks to the lamella structure of their gills.


I clicked on the Lamella page and in addition to being part of fish gills, lamella is a thin-structure that also plays a role in filter feeding and the traction of geckos. That's super weird to me that the same structure is found in fish gills and gecko feet.


Anyway, I took the opportunity to learn more about geckos by traveling onto their Wikipedia page where I did learn more about the incredible traction abilities of geckos. I've never realized it seeing geckos in real life but there feet look super cool:



From there I grew interested in what the gecko page said was the largest species of gecko the Kawekaweau. I was quite disappointed when I clicked on the Kawekaweau page to learn that they are extinct. Apparently they could grow to be up to 2 feet long and while that is quite large for a gecko I was really hoping for a dinosaur-like, bigger than me, monster of a gecko. Oh well. They were kind of cute at least.

Comments

Popular Posts