Topic Research: Many Ramayanas

I think I am going to move forward with the idea of a choose your own adventure Ramayana that incorporates many different versions. I'm thinking of using Twine to do this and I know I've seen this in Storybooks before but if you know of any that were particularly successful using Twine please let me know. I really like that it gives me the freedom to really tell multiple stories in one story but I don't want them to seem overly complicated. 

I read A. K. Ramanujan's essay and I think the story of Rama's ring is a really great starting point for my storybook. The idea it conveys about multiple Ramas and Ramayanas is sort of the guiding principle I was thinking about when I came up with this storybook idea. I'd like to either incorporate this story into my introduction or as a story all its own. 

I also would like to include a story about when Rama is reunited with Sita after he defeats Ravana. I found this PDF of the Adhyatma Ramayana in which the Fire God, Agni, consumes the Maya (illusion) Sita and returns the real Sita.  I may also tie this into whether or not Sita is later banished after she and Rama return to Ayodhya.

Sita and her sons (Wikimedia)

I'm planning to include a story about Hanuman from the Ramakien as well, though I'm not entirely sure which one yet. The story of Suvannamaccha and Hanuman sounds interesting but I may decide to do something else later on.

In addition to the sources I've linked throughout, I'm planning on using Narayan's Ramayana, the PDE version, and potentially some of the Week 5 Ramayana reading choices as well to help me create different options within my stories. 

Comments

Popular Posts