Storybook Plan

My goal for this Storybook is to highlight the wide variety in the Ramayana storytelling tradition. I have been enjoying encountering different versions of the Ramayana and am looking forward to learning even more about the wide variety of ways the Ramayana is told.

Thinking about the branching story platform (still thinking Twine at this point), I've come up with a main question for each story that will help me think about what the different branches will be. This is what I've come up with:
  • Why was Rama banished?
    • In the Buddhist version of this story called the Dasaratha Jataka, Rama, Laksmana, and Sita are all siblings and sent away by Dasaratha for 12 years to protect them from his wife not as a fulfillment of the boon he owed his wife that banished Rama for 14 years.
  • Is the real Sita captured by Ravana or is it the Maya Sita? 
    • In the Adhyatma Ramayana, the real Sita hides in the fire and is replace by the Maya Sita who is captured by Ravana instead of the real Sita. The Fire God, Agni, then replaces the Maya Sita with the real Sita in the fire test.
  • Who builds the bridge to Lanka?
    • In the Ramikien Hanuman builds the bridge and Suvannamaccha is told by Ravana to stop the bridge from being built but she falls in love with Hanuman and lets the bridge be built. Conversely, in the PDE version Rama employs Nala to build the bridge at the advice of the King of the Ocean
  • Should Rama banish Sita?
    • The PDE Ramayana tells the story of how Sita is exiled by Rama after they return to Ayodhya.  I know not all versions include this but I'm not sure if there are any that include a detailed happy ending concerning Sita. If I can't find one to base my story on I may just write my own unique one.
In addition to the stories above, I think I might include the story of The Ring. I'm also planning on checking out The Book of Ram by Devutt Patanaik (as suggested) this week to give me another source to reference. 

Comments

Popular Posts