Week 3 Story: A Horse’s Letter

A Horse’s Letter

Dear Son, 

All my life I’ve dreamed about what lies beyond the pasture fences. Every time I’d ever gone outside them, I was forced to keep my head straight and follow the path instead of the sweet smells that roll across the hills. I’ve always wanted to take my time, roam from plain to plain, jungle to jungle, desert to desert but I never expected that I’d one day have the chance.

I could not believe my luck when the gates were opened before me. Untethered, free, this must be a trick. I set out slowly, one hoof at a time. I noticed a great number of men following behind me. At first I was worried they would try and capture me but they never did do anything to disturb or direct me.. When it finally, sunk in that I was free, I ran as fast as I could across the wide open plains towards the mountains. At last I was free to discover to discover the world around me.

I’d love to tell you all of my adventures, about the tallest of mountains, the sweetest of flowers, and the calmest of rivers but I’m afraid my words cannot do the beauty of any them justice.

To tell you the truth, the world is a beautiful place but the nights were lonely away from home. I could wonder to the end of the earth but I couldn’t help but feel it would be better if I had someone to share it with. At nights, I often imagined your mother and her long, black mane blowing in the wind as she ran beside me in the pastures. Of everything I’ve seen, I cannot remember anything as beautiful as that.

After a year I was more than ready to return home and was pleasantly surprised to be led back. You and your mother greeted me at the gate and I have never felt so much joy. It was upon seeing your face for the first time that I resolved never again to leave the pasture again. All I want is to be with you and your mother but I’m afraid my time will soon be cut short. I have been treated very well since I have gotten back. Too well.

If you are reading this it is because my suspicions were true and my life was taken from me. I just want you to know that I love you dearly and you mean the world to me. My greatest wish for you is that you will grow up to be a good father that is always able to be there for your children. I hope that you will treasure your family the way I never could. Trust me son, there is nothing worth more than that.

Love always,
Dad




A picture of me, your old man (Torange)


Author’s Note: I decided to write from the perspective of the horse in the Ashvamedha sacrifice that takes place in the Ramayana before Dasharatha is able to have sons. The point of the sacrifice was to help Dasharatha have sons so I wanted to explore the idea of sacrifice from the perspective of the sacrificed and convey the idea that the horse’s death would give a father son’s but leave the horse’s son without a father.

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).

Comments

  1. Hi Hannah!

    I love that your story is written from the perspective of the horse! And in the form of a letter! This is something very new to me. I also love that you kept it going within the image formation—thats cute!! I really like how you gave this smaller character such a big narrative. I can really tell that you took your time in writing this! I enjoyed reading it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hannah!
    Great story! Telling the story from the horse’s point of view was a really creative idea that made you’re story really unique and interesting. I never would’ve thought about the perspective of the horse and its family during the sacrifice. I also love that it’s in the form of a letter from the father to the son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, all of your writings have been intriguing to me so I'm back for more! This story was truly a sad one... ugh, and the letter formatting makes it even more sentimental. I did enjoy the way you interpreted it from the original story though. It definitely makes it more relatable and a much easier read. The idea you wanted to convey was clear and concise. Family is a true gem and something people should always cherish but often take for granted.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts