Growth Mindset and A Self-Issued Challenged

For the Growth Mindset assignment I read Laura’s book chapter on Growth Mindset and Ungrading. I really enjoyed the ungrading system last semester and wish more teachers set their classes up in a similar way. It is hard enough to balance my time so that I am putting enough effort into all of my classes without worrying about whether or not the work I did was good enough. I really enjoyed reading the chapter and I hope other instructors will be able to give their students the freedom to grow from their mistakes by taking the challenge to re-evaluate the usefulness of grading when it comes to learning.

The opening of the chapter asks you to make a list of ten memories about grading so I thought I would like to share mine:

1. In 2nd grade I received a 69 on a homework assignment in Math. This was the first time I received a “failing” grade and I was very disappointed in myself.

2. I took Calculus BC my junior year of high school. I had always been good Math prior to Calculus but I really struggled to do every step of problems correctly on exams. In addition, to doing all assigned homework problems and many extra ones before tests I only passed two (with low Cs)  of the many exams all year. (Oh, and I also passed the AP exam. No more Calculus for me!)

3. I scored really well on my PSAT and got a lot of scholarship money for doing so. Despite putting a lot less effort into studying and turning in assignments in high school. My ability to excel at test-taking helped me get into good colleges and helped me get paid.

4. In high school, I frequently calculated how many assignments I could skip or not turn in and still get an A. I only wanted to do the work I had to do.

5. I filled out a form to take Calculus pass/fail so it wouldn’t affect my GPA. Passing the class was one of the most difficult things I have ever done and instead of feeling accomplished and like I had learned anything. I was just thankful it wouldn’t cause my class to slip and that I wouldn’t have to take a class like Calculus ever again.

6. We frequently switched papers to grade in my math classes. I always hated that other people had to see my mistakes.

7. I remember always losing credit for not showing my work in Algebra even if I got the right answer.

8. I always liked it when teachers put smiley faces in the 0s in a 100.

9. People who made As on their Algebra and Geometry tests in middle school got to put a paw print with their name on it to stick on the ceiling of the classroom. Getting an 89 was a true tragedy.

10. I was afraid of other people hearing me speak in Spanish so I never did any of the speaking assignments for my Spanish 4 class in high school. This lowered my grade but my teacher never asked me about why I didn’t do the speaking assignments.

I have decided not to check my grades this semester. My hope is that I can take all of my classes as if I weren’t being graded because I think I will get more out of them that way. Last semester I began to rediscover the joy of true learning and I plan to continue the journey going forward.

Comments

  1. Oh my gosh, Hannah, this was SO COOL to read (and yes, I would put smiley faces in those capital Os if I could!) ... I could connect with so many of your memories, especially the one about trading work to mark up in class; I had totally forgotten about that... painful repressed memories! And I really like your do-it-yourself ungrading project this semester. What a brilliant idea! And you know I am already excited to see what kind of project you want to do for India. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts