Biography: The Road Home

We were already on the road when the call came in. Getting home without raising an eyebrow was going to be difficult. With headlights off we turned off the main road and crept along down the dirt path. For a second it seemed that perhaps we might make it after all. The four of us who laid in the bed of the truck were careful not to make a sound for we knew things could get ugly quick.


All of a sudden, we heard the call from the driver's seat. It was time to bail. We hopped out of the bed and ran. The house was only about 100 feet to the left, at least one of us was bound to make it. We outnumbered them and so I had no trouble reaching the door my sister was less fortunate.  She was face-to-face with the biggest of their kind, he anticipated her every zig and zag. I knew their was only one thing that I could do and that was charge the beast. Screaming at the top of my lungs, I showed no sign of leading up. 

My distraction worked. As my sister slipped past, I turned on a time and sprinted for the door. Once it shut behind me I figured they would finally abandon the chase... but they didn't. My sister and I reached for the lock but they had already forced open the door. With great speed we headed for the hall down to our room. As we slammed the door, a single arm propped it open. We were cornered, but at least we had made it back. 

The next thing I knew a deep cry arose from behind us and a dark shadow rose from my bed. They had anticipated were we would go. 

But wait. The sheets had changed. The wall art taken down. Our clothes replaced. 

All at once we surged past the guards at the door, to the road, and down the street. Into the next house, behind the bedroom door and this time we were really home free. 

Author's Note: I wrote this story about a memory I have from my job last summer in a way that build up suspense. Boys and girls have separate housing for the summer but the buildings look exactly the same. While a few of us girls were out, the boys called to tell us about a surprise they left at our house. We suspected fowl play and freaked out when they blocked the road. In all the excitement, my roommate and I ran into the wrong house and wrong room. 

Comments

Popular Posts